Let’s Discuss Different Flow Meter Types
There are many different types of flow meters, each with its own set of advantages and disadvantages. Some of the most common types include:
- Positive displacement flow meters: These meters work by repeatedly trapping a fixed volume of fluid and then counting the number of times the volume is filled to measure the flow rate. Examples of positive displacement flow meters include nutating disk flow meters, rotary piston flow meters, and oscillating piston flow meters.
- Velocity flow meters: These meters measure the velocity of the fluid to determine the flow rate. Examples of velocity flow meters include paddle wheel flow meters, turbine flow meters, vortex flow meters, and ultrasonic flow meters.
- Mass flow meters: These meters measure the mass of the fluid passing through the meter per unit of time to determine the flow rate. Examples of mass flow meters include Coriolis flow meters, thermal mass flow meters, and magnetic flow meters.
- Differential Pressure flow meters: These meters use the pressure difference across the flow meter to measure the flow rate. Examples of Differential Pressure flow meters include Orifice plate, Venturi, Pitot tube, and flow nozzle
- Open channel flow meters: These meters are used to measure flow in open channels, such as rivers, irrigation canals, and municipal stormwater systems. Examples of open channel flow meters include weirs and flumes.
- Ultrasonic Flow meters: These meters use the principle of time of flight measurement to determine the flow rate of a fluid. They measure fluid velocity by timing the transit of ultrasonic pulses, emitted and received by transducers, across the fluid stream.
It’s worth noting that the best type of flow meter for a given application depends on the specific characteristics of the fluid, such as viscosity, density, and temperature, as well as the conditions of the measurement, such as the required accuracy, range of flow rates, and whether the fluid is flowing in a closed pipe or an open channel.
Please contact us if you have any specific applications or any questions about any flow meter types. We at Icon Process Controls would be happy to discuss your application in greater detail.