- E Excellent = Recommended
- G Good = Recommended*
- F Fair = Limited Life
- X Not Recommended
Corrosion resistance data given in this section are based on laboratory tests conducted by the manufacturers of the materials covered and are indicative only of the conditions under which the tests were made. The testing was done using non-stressed single strips of material being immersed in the chemical for a period of time. The information may be considered as a basis for suitability, but not as a guarantee. It is recommended that the materials should be tested in actual service to determine suitability for a particular purpose. When selecting elastomeric seals for specific applications, there are a number of important selection criteria including the anticipated service conditions, the design and inspection requirements for the particular application, and material specification and traceability. The service conditions to be considered include:
- Fluid to be sealed, including any contaminants or additives.
- Temperature range including minimum and maximum operating conditions, as well as thermal cycling and potential excursions.
- Pressure range – including minimum and maximum operating range with an error range and compression/decompression rate if the pressure is high.
- Vacuum application – including where the vacuum is applied and whether it is cyclic.
- Motion – either static or dynamic. If it is dynamic, describe the motion.
The design requirements of the particular sealing application are also critical including:
- Component geometry/description, like O-ring, gasket, diaphragm, etc.
- Desired service life. If it is a replacement for a failed seal, which material was used before and why did it fail?
- Assembly considerations including lubricants, installed stretch, etc.
- Critical dimensions and tolerances, including groove dimensions and machining tolerances.
This Guide is intended to used as a basis of Suitability – Not a Guarantee
*Material is recommended with conditions.
Max Working Temperatures:
PVC: 140°F | 60°C
CPVC: 195°F | 90°C
PP: 195°F | 90°C
PVDF: 250°F | 120°C